The Hall On display in the hall here are some of the oldest furniture and a collection of early postage stamps. Evidence of the unbroken ownership of Mirehouse since 1688 starts with the hall. Little has been thrown away over the years!Portraits of two key figures in the history of the House can be seen here. The larger painting is of John Spedding, who was given this House in 1802, and the smaller portrait to the left of the archway is of his benefactor Thomas Story.The Hall is the start for the history quiz for children and the owl trail (quite often followed by the adults as well!).